With the digital data increased, It’s very important to backup or clone your data on a regular basis to secure your data safe in Windows computer, like desktop, laptop or tablet, etc. Until now, Microsoft Windows system occupy the most of the market. Hence, we will show you how to protect your data in Windows 7/8/10.
Backup VS Clone, Which is Better?
There are two common ways to protect your data in Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10: Backup, and Clone. What are they mean?
Backup is a way to create a backup of your critical data with a highly compression to an image file. It will save a large storage space for your hard drive. However, the backup image file have to be restored then you could use it again if the source data corrupted.
Clone is a way to make an exact copy of your data to another location, no compression. And a clone will eat chunks of the storage device as large as the source data. The cloned data can be directly used.
The two ways will save your life if your computer encounter some serious problems, like cyber attacks, virus, etc. Backup or clone? It’s depending on your demands.
In Windows computers, the common backup types include:
Windows operating system backup: only backup Windows system files, boot files, etc. to ensure boot the computer correctly.
Partition backup: backup all the data on the specific partition on your hard drive, etc.
Entire disk backup: create a backup for all the data on the specified hard disk, including Windows operating system files, partition structure, system settings, personal files, etc.
File backup: backup the selected file or folders for you.
There are some common used clone types, like disk clone, system clone, partition clone, etc.
The disk clone is commonly used to migrate data from smaller disk to larger disk, or vice versa, especially when clone smaller SSD to larger SSD without reinstalling everything.
System clone will only migrate the system files to another HDD or SSD, and ensure it bootable, and boot the computer from the cloned disk correctly.
Partition clone allows you to migrate individual partition to another HDD/SSD without losing data.
Best Free Windows Backup Tools
As a matter of fact, Windows has some built-in backup tools that you could use to backup or clone data, these tools includes:
For Windows PCs, you could use:
- Backup and Restore (Windows 7): for Windows Vista, 7, 8, 10 to backup Windows operating system, system settings, individual folders, libraries, and drives. Nevertheless, you can’t backup programs files, recycle bin files, temporary files.
- File History: It’s only available in Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and backup files only.
- Wbadmin (command line tool): for Windows 7, 8, 10 to backup and restore your operating system, volumes, files, folders, and applications.
For Windows Servers, please try:
- Windows Server Backup (WSB) could be used in Windows Server 2008 (R2), 2012 (R2), 2016 or 2019 to back up all volumes, selected volumes, or the system state.
- NTBackup can be used in Windows Server 2003, or 2003 R2, and helps you to backup system state, files and folders.
Find the suitable backup tool to protect your data. However, these tools have their limitations accordingly and no clone features. Therefore, if it’s not enough for you, another comprehensive yet free backup software – AOMEI Backupper Standard comes to play. It covers all the feature listed (except for system clone) and is compatible with Windows PCs, like Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 (all editions, 32-bit and 64-bit). And you can try the server version of the software in Windows servers.
How to Backup Windows 7/8/10 Hard Drive Easily?
First of all, you have to download and install AOMEI Backupper. Then follow the detailed steps to backup data in Windows 7/8/10 ( take Windows 10 disk backup for example), let’s start:
- Perform AOMEI Backupper Standard, select Backup ->Disk Backup on the main console.
- Click + Add Disk to choose Windows 10 disk as source disk to backup, click Add.
- Select a destination location to save the Windows 10 image backup, like local disk, external hard drive, USB flash drive, or CD/DVD, etc.
Tip: the program will automatically detect the storage space on the destination and warning you if there is insufficient space.
- Hit Start Backup >> button to backup Windows 10 hard drive safely.
- You could create schedule backup to automatically run at the specific time with Schedule settings.
- AOMEI Backupper allows you to comment on the backup image, compress, split the image file, enable email notification via Options.
It’s easy to backup data on your Windows computers.
Safely Clone hard drive with Simple Clicks
If you want to clone hard drive in Windows 7/8/10, please refer to the below steps:
- Select Clone ->Disk Clone on the main window.
- Choose the hard disk as source disk to clone, and hit Next >>.
- Tap to select another larger hard drive as destination disk to save the data from the source disk, hit Next >>.
Tip: the destination disk will be overwrite or deleted after the cloning process, please backup first before cloning.
- Preview the details and click Start Clone to upgrade HDD/SSD to larger one.
- SSD alignment option will optimize the performance of your SSD.
- Sector by sector clone allows you to clone all sectors whether it is in use or not, and it will take much longer time.
- More information refer to clone M.2 SSD to larger M.2 SSD.
Write in the End
Find the suitable data protection software according to your needs and it’s quite easy to backup or clone data in Windows PCs right?
Also read, MultCloud Review